Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Events and Races are getting nearer

Recap
Our second brick workout went really well. We split up into three groups and did a longer ride and longer run. All you multisport athletes are getting so much stronger in both cycling and running. You’ll have a great race but more importantly you’ll have a great time doing the race. Thank you to all my non-runners who lead our three groups.

I went and rode with the group from Colorado Springs on Saturday. I wish a few of you would have joined me for this ride. They were a great group of people to ride with; this group split up into 5 smaller groups. They had some go mountain biking, a fast paced group, and the group I rode with ended up being 3 groups of about 5 or 6 people. We rode 35 miles through the Black Forrest.

The Next Few Weeks

For Wednesday, we will talk about nutrition on the bike. This is an important subject because all of us have bonked at one time or another. Lets get the knowledge to prevent it and feel great before, during, and after the ride no matter the distance. The clinic will start at 6 pm and the ride at 6:30 pm. I am thinking I’ll try a new route this week, so be read for a little adventure.

Okay, its getting closer to My Way or the Tri Way and the Tri for the Cure. This is what many of you have been working toward this year. If you’ve done these races before I think you will be surprised at how much you’ve grown as an athlete since last year. If its your first time, you will definitely be thankful for all the tips and training we’ve done as a group. There will not be a ride this weekend because many of us are competing or cheering for someone at the My Way or the Tri Way. During this week is a good time to set up your transition area in your living room and practice going through each transition. It’s a good way to keep all your gear in one place too. I am planning on riding the course on Tuesday and Thursday and the doing a short run on the course afterward as my last minute prep work. Take some time to check out your bike or bring it to the shop for your Free BV Adjustments. I was in yesterday and Jason Patterson did a great job helping me make sure my bike was race ready.

The following weekend is the Tri for the Cure race. I know many of you have been training and raising money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. This is a great race with lots of energy and excitement. You will have a great time. I would suggest that you go through the same pre-race preparations as I’ve suggested above to help yourself be ready for the big day. Remember, there are those two short, steep hills that come up about ½ ways through the course so have your plan of attack ready to execute.

For those of us who are not doing the race, there will be a ride on Sunday August 2nd. We will meet at Challenger Park in Parker at 7:30 am and leave at 8 am. We will ride about 40-50 miles along the C470 path toward Chatfield. This is mostly on the bike path and there are many rolling hills. I will try to plan out a route that will take us about 65 miles one of these Sundays before Venus de Miles. I know many of you are planning on doing the 65 mile ride, so its good practice to do that distance at least once before the event.
Challenger Park
17299 E Lincoln Ave
Parker, CO 80134

Side Note
I need your opinions. When I put out this summer’s schedule, I left room for change. That means I want your feedback and suggestions, good and bad. The room for change is if we find that something doesn’t work for the group. If you want to change the Intermediate/Advanced group back to always riding on Sundays and leaving from the store, you just need to let me know. We can change it.

This is your group. Your feedback is very important to how I plan things out. I want to plan and organize rides and clinics that you want to do. So, volunteer to lead us on a ride, suggest a new route, or tell me that something doesn’t work. I want to work for you.

Tips
Its has arrived and its time to think about your upcoming bike or tri event. The week before is a good time to get things in order. Here are a few items to think about for each event.

Bike event
Check shifting, braking, and tires
Check your seat bag and make sure it has all the necessary items
Put out all your gear in an area of your house where you have room to work and see everything together
Find out when and where you can pick up your packet; avoid picking up the day of so that you have one less thing to worry about
Map out directions from your house to the location of the event
Plan out your day so that you arrive well before the start time
Put our nutrition and water bottles with your gear

Tri event
Put out all your gear in an area of your house where you have room to work and see everything together
Find out when and where you can pick up your packet; avoid picking up the day of so that you have one less thing to worry about
Map out directions from your house to the location of the event
Plan out your day so that you arrive well before the start time
Put our nutrition and water bottles with your gear

Swim
Wash you goggles with dish soap to ensure a better seal and rinse them very well


Bike
Check shifting, braking, and tires
Check your seat bag and make sure it has all the necessary items
Run
If you’ve decided to use quick laces, make sure they are not too tight

No comments:

Post a Comment